TitleWallace House, Noosaville, ca 1930sAdditional InformationIn 1930, Arthur Wallace bought a 32 hectare parcel of land from Robert Adams known as Portion 151, Parish of Tewantin. This land, was originally selected by Walter B Hay. Arthur had the house designed by R.M. Wilson and it was built by Dick Cadell of Cooroy. Reminders of the Colonial Service lifestyle of the Wallaces are seen in the inclusion of the wash basins in the bedrooms and a separate Maids Wing. The Wallaces had two local girls helping them in the house and two yard boys whose quarters were under the house. He also had an allotment on the river front on Hilton Terrace and had a jetty built through the mangroves to a boat house at the end, near where Cayman Quays is today.
In 1978 the house was sold but it was not until 1980 that the family finally moved out. Between 1980 and 1992, Wallace House became a rental property . In 1992 Noosa Council bought Wallace House as a future home for the arts and crafts of Noosa Shire. The house was officially opened on 8 June 1993 with a membership of 150.Dateca 1930sImage NoT2005041
CopyrightThis image may be used for educational and non-commercial research purposes. It must not be reproduced for any other purposes without the prior permission of Noosa Library Service.