Description
Mail services were first provided to Kin Kin in 1907 when Mr McWilliams’ house opened as a mail receiving office. By 1914, a telephone exchange had been installed and was operating. Postal services were later carried out in a building adjoining Martin’s Store. This building stood between the ES&A Bank and the Kin Kin hotel but has since been demolished.
At a 1951 Country Party meeting in Kin Kin attended by David Low MLA, a decision was made to approach the PMG with a request for the construction of an official post office as ‘the present set-up is most unsatisfactory’. In 1951, a new post office opened across the street with Mr J Burton as postmaster. The new building was described at the time as, “the front room of the two-roomed structure is used for general business and the rear room is a separate telephone exchange”.
The post office remained in this building until at least 1979 but in 2024, is in private ownership.
Address54, Main Street, Kin Kin